- 1¼ lb. chicken cutlets, pounded until ¼" thick (about 8)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ⅓ cup plus 1 tbsp. flour
- 5 tbsp. olive oil
- 5 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 8 oz. white button mushrooms
- 2 tbsp. minced shallots
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ⅓ cup dry Marsala wine
- ⅓ cup chicken stock
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and dredge in ⅓ cup flour. Heat 2 tbsp. oil and 1 tbsp. butter in a 12" skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, add chicken, and cook, turning once, until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate, and set aside. Add 2 tbsp. oil and 1 tbsp. butter, and then add mushrooms; cook until golden brown, about 8 minutes. Transfer to plate with chicken, and set aside.
- Heat remaining oil in skillet, and then add shallots and garlic; cook, stirring, until soft, about 1 minute. Stir in remaining 1 tbsp. flour; cook for 2 minutes. Add Marsala and stock; cook, stirring and scraping bottom of pan until slightly thick, about 2 minutes. Return chicken and mushrooms to skillet, and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in remaining butter. Season with salt and pepper; garnish with parsley, if you like.