Queso Chicken Pasta
- 8 oz. penne pasta
- 2 tsp. vegetable oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. coriander
- 1 T. flour
- 1 1/3 cup milk
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 T. cream cheese
- 8 oz. Monterey jack cheese, shredded, divided
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- Preheat oven with 350 degrees. Spray a medium baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions, but reduce the cooking time by 2 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and jalapeno. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the cumin, coriander, and salt. Cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes.
- Gradually whisk in the milk, a little bit at the time. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook until it thickens.
- Remove the pot from the heat and whisk in the cream cheese, 3/4 of the shredded cheese, and the tomatoes.
- Stir the pasta and chicken into the cheese sauce.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the pasta.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the pasta is bubbling. Let stand for at least 5 minutes before serving.