KEY LIME SHEET CAKE
- 2 cups Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
- 1 (3 ounce) package lime-flavored gelatin
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons lime zest (about 4 limes)
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (from about 2 limes)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, room temperature
- 3-1/2 cups powdered sugar
- zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 cup crushed graham crackers
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, gelatin, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until well combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Alternate adding flour mixture and buttermilk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Beat in lime zest and lime juice.
- Pour batter into a lightly greased 9x13-inch baking dish. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- To prepare icing, cream the butter and cream cheese until smooth. Beat in the powdered sugar until thick and creamy. Stir in the zest and juice of one lime. Spread the icing evenly over the cooled cake. Garnish with crushed graham crackers. Store cake in the refrigerator.