- 3 oz unsweetened baking chocolate
- 2 cups flour - cake or all purpose
- one stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted softened butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- Break off pieces until you end up with three ounces and then roughly chop it.
- Pop it in the microwave for 30 seconds at a time, stirring between each go in the microwave. Keep doing this until it's smooth. Set this aside to cool down while we get going on the cake batter!
- In a large bowl, beat the butter until it's nice and creamy. Add in the sugar and beat for a couple of minutes, or until it's soft and turning a lighter yellow.
- At that point, add in your egg yolks and mix until well combined.
- Once the butter and sugar have been mixed, pour in the melted baking chocolate and vanilla.
- Mix for a minute or so, scraping down the bowl occasionally to make sure everything is combined.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a bowl and mix with a fork.
- Alternate adding the flour mix and milk to the batter, mixing well in between.
- Take your two egg whites and whisk them until they form soft peaks.
- Pour and smooth an equal amount of batter in both cake pans.
- Bake them in a 350 F oven for 30 minutes.